There Memorials are at 2 locations in St. Helen’s Auckland. They are:
St. Helen’s Church;
The memorials are:
The memorial windows are to the memory of those parishioners who fell in the war.
2] Memorials to John & William Nicholas Eden
They were the sons of Sir William Eden
The St. Helen’s Colliery Memorial Cottages; 2 Memorial plaques
The Memorial Cottages are located at Maude Terrace, St. Helen’s Auckland to the north of the main road, the A688 leading from Bishop to West Auckland and to the immediate west of the former Cooperative Society block of buildings (now in various commercial uses). They consist of 2 blocks of 2 semi-detached single storey cottages.
Those commemorated are:
|Davison GW||13.03.15||2/CG||Le Touret Memorial|
|Martin J||26.05.15||2/NF||Menin Gate|
|McQuire J||14.07.15||9/DLI||Menin Gate|
|Bagley R||07.08.15||6/YR||Helles Memorial|
|Tate RW||14.03.16||27/NF||Brewery Orchard Bois Grenier|
|Mason E||10.04 16||15/DLI||Cojeul|
|Hutchfield W||14.04.17||2/WYR||Brown’s Copse|
|Simpson A.||14.04.17||1/6 DLI||Arras Memorial|
|Shepherd WH||28.04.17||27/NF||Fampoux BC|
|Bagley WH||04.07.17||RE||New Irish Farm|
|Blenkin W||19.10.17||12/DLI||Tyne Cot|
|Judge G||18.12.17||6/KOYLI||Tyne Cot|
|Vickers TH||16.04.18||2/4 KOYLI||Bienvillers|
|Oates J||08.05.18||2/YR||Tyne Cot|
|Weatherald WN||09.08.18||RAMC||Tyne Cot|
|Bowron J.W.||10.09.18||1/EYR||Gouzecourt NBC|
|Dobbin H.||27.09.18||1/5 London||Chapel Corner Cemetery Sauchy-Lestre|
|Little P.||27.05.18||15/DLI||Soissons Memorial|
|Rewcastle G.||01.11.18||1/6/WRR||Maing CCExt|
This list is in chronological order of their deaths but the memorial plaques record their names by regiment.
McQuire J. who was recorded as serving with the Northumberland Fusiliers has not been identified. He may be 2587 Private Joseph McGuire 1/9th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry who was killed in action 14 July 1915 and is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium. Further research is required to confirm the identity of this servicemen.
Many of the men who worked at St. Helens colliery lived at Tindale Crescent and Fieldon Bridge. St. Luke’s church served these communities and 7 of the above men are commemorated on a memorial plaque formerly housed in the church which was demolished many years ago. The plaque is now in St. Andrew’s church, Bishop Auckland.